You can also download these minutes as a PDF File

THORNHAUGH PARISH COUNCIL

Minutes of the Meeting of Thornhaugh Parish Council held on 15th July 2019 in St Andrew’s Church, Thornhaugh

PRESENT
Chris Smith (Chairman)
Louise Molesworth (Vice Chairman)
Martin Lewis
Adrian Rodgers

IN ATTENDANCE
Lisa Chambers and Penny Lewin-Watts (Christie Hall)
Stuart Foreman, Alan Bolton Frost and Laurence Hall (Members of the Public)
Deirdre McCumiskey, Clerk to the Council

Lisa Chambers attended the meeting to give a talk on the background to the Christie Hall and Thornhaugh Parish Council’s contractual arrangements with the British Legion. She agreed to provide a copy of the current Lease and confirmed that she will be in contact well before the Interim Rent Review that will take place in 2021. The Chairman thanked Lisa for her talk and stated that it had been very useful for the Parish Councillors to learn about the annual rent payment. The information Lisa provided is attached to these Minutes for reference. (Available for download)

1. APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE
There were apologies for absence from Ashleigh Kewney.

2. DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST
There were no declarations of interest.

3. PUBLIC FORUM
A Member of the Public suggested that if Thornhaugh Hall is put up for sale perhaps the current owner could be approached to see if he would be willing to donate 2.5 – 5 acres of land near the Old Post Office on Russell Hill for use as a playing field/recreation area. It was agreed that this would have significant implications for the Parish Council and needs to be discussed further before any approach is made to the owner.

4. POLICE MATTERS
There were no police representatives present. Thanks were expressed to Martin Lewis for forwarding an e-mail regarding three burglaries in Wansford that he had received from Neighbourhood Alert. It is advisable for residents to be vigilant.

5. MINUTES of the AGM Meeting of Thornhaugh Parish Council held on 3rd June 2019 were reviewed, approved and signed by the Chairman.
Proposed by:- Louise Molesworth
Seconded by:- Chris Smith

6. MATTERS ARISING

i) Dog Fouling
The Chairman had produced a Draft Flyer asking residents to collect and bin their dog foul and this will be distributed to all residents.

ii) Speeding Through the Village
The Chairman had produced a Draft Flyer asking residents to keep to the speed limit and this will be distributed to all residents.
iii) Planning Application 19/00398 – Erection of dwelling with garage at 16 Meadow Lane, Thornhaugh
The Revised Planning Application is the third planning application for this site. It was agreed that the Parish Councillors will make objections on virtually the same grounds as they have for the two previous planning applications but highlight their concerns that the plans for the parking spaces and vehicular access are unsatisfactory. Martin Lewis will draft a response based on discussion at the meeting and this will be put on the Peterborough City Council Website.
iv) Pavements
Peterborough City Council has agreed to inspect the pavements in due course.
v) Footpaths
It was noted that the overgrown footpaths and grass verges have now been mowed and strimmed.
vi) List of Representatives to External Organisations
It was agreed to delete Thornhaugh Environmental Association from the list as the Parish Council does not nominate TEA’ representatives. Martin Witherington has confirmed that he is willing to remain as the representative and to inform the Parish Council on any issues raised by the Augean Community Liaison Committee.
vii) A1 North Layby
There has been no further response/update from the Highways Agency regarding the closure request. The Parish Council will keep pressing.

7. CORRESPONDENCE

The Chairman has received an invitation to attend the RAF Wittering Formal Reception on 4th September 2019 that she hopes to attend.

8. FINANCE

i) Statement and Bank Reconciliation at 30th June 2019 was reviewed and approved as presented
Proposed by:- Louise Molesworth Seconded by:- Chris Smith

PKF Littlejohn has confirmed that there will be no External Audit following receipt of the signed Annual Return. The Chairman expressed her view that it would be beneficial to appoint a Treasurer who could support the Clerk with monitoring the finances and producing financial budgets/forecasts. Adrian Rodgers kindly agreed to take on this unpaid role.

9. ANY OTHER BUSINESS

i) Village Social Event
Alan and Joan Bolton Frost have kindly offered the use of their garden for a Village Social Event. It was agreed that this will take place at 2.00 pm on 28th September 2019. Louise Molesworth agreed to head-up a Social Committee, working with Alan and Joan to organise the event which will be publicised on a Flyer that will be distributed to all residents.

ii) Planning Application 19/01010 CTR – Cherry Tree – crown reduction to 20ft in height at 4 Meadow Lane, Thornhaugh
It was confirmed by the Tree Officer (Stephen Chesney-Beales) that he would be visiting the applicant to discuss the proposals. It was agreed that the Parish Council will, as in the past, accept his advice on the way forward. Comments will be put on the Peterborough City Council Website to this effect.

iii) Planning Application 19/00346 – Tree Work at 16 Russell Hill, Thornhaugh
Parish Councillors discuss the lack of response by the Tree Officer, Peterborough Planning Department and Diane Lamb relating to the correspondence to the tree works on Russell Hill. There was disappointment and frustration expressed about the amount of time and effort take to make constructive comment, only for this to be totally ignored. Although this application is now closed, it was agreed that information would be sought from the new Tree Officer (Stephen Chesney-Beales) on what the actual process is when objections are received and how comments, for or against, are considered.

iv) Planning Application 19/00934 LBC – Window replacement at the West elevation of the property at 23 Russell Hill, Thornhaugh
There were No Objections to this planning application. Comments will be put on the Peterborough City Council Website to this effect.

v) Defibrillator
Louise Molesworth stated that she been approached by Alan and Joan Bolton Frost with a generous offer to purchase and install a Defibrillator for the village. In addition, she had been approached by Laurence Hall with a generous donation to support the purchase and its running costs. Louise agreed to obtain a fully itemised quotation for the purchase, installation and running costs of a Defibrillator. The Chairman will contact Rev Jane Tailby to ascertain whether permission could be given to site the Defibrillator in the porch of the St Andrew’s Church. Thanks were given to Alan, Joan and Laurence for their very generous support.

vi) Hanging Baskets
Martin Lewis agreed to order and collect 10 Autumn/Winter Hanging Baskets later on in the year.

10. DATE OF NEXT MEETING

The Next Meeting of Thornhaugh Parish Council will take place at 7.00 pm on 16th September 2019 in St Andrew’s Church

11. CLOSURE

There being no further business to discuss, the Chairman closed the meeting at 8.45 pm

SIGNED _________________________________ DATE 16/09/19
Chairman