You can also download these minutes as a PDF File

THORNHAUGH PARISH COUNCIL

Minutes of the Meeting of Thornhaugh Parish Council held on 16th September 2019 in St Andrew’s Church, Thornhaugh

PRESENT
Chris Smith (Chairman)
Louise Molesworth (Vice Chairman)
Ashleigh Kewney
Adrian Rodgers

IN ATTENDANCE
Alan Bolton Frost, Laurence Hall and Peter Sharpley (Members of the Public)
Deirdre McCumiskey, Clerk to the Council

1. APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE
There were apologies for absence from Martin Lewis.

2. DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST
There were no declarations of interest.

3. PUBLIC FORUM
Peter Sharpley confirmed that he is happy to be the initial point of contact if there are issues with local footpaths. If it is a footpath that is not his responsibility, he will know who is the landowner concerned. This way it might be quicker than going through Peterborough City Council.

4. POLICE MATTERS
There were no police representatives present. It was reported that there had been a recent theft of a handbag from an unlocked car at Grange Farm. Residents are reminded to lock their cars at all times.

5. MINUTES of the Meeting of Thornhaugh Parish Council held on 15th July 2019 were reviewed, approved and signed by the Chairman.
Proposed by:- Louise Molesworth
Seconded by:- Chris Smith

6. MATTERS ARISING

i) Village Social Event
The Chairman reported that this will now take place on 22nd September 2019 (due to the Georgian Festival being held in Stamford the following weekend). She was aware of 17 attendees but it is hopeful that there will be a slightly higher number on the day. She and Penny Lewin-Watts and Ade Rodgers will assist Alan and Joan Bolton Frost prepare for the event on Saturday 21st.
ii) Donation of Land
It was agreed that no further action will be taken with this suggestion.
iii) Defibrillator
Louise Molesworth gave a comprehensive update on the Defibrillator. She now has £5,900 in donations pledged by residents. Rev J Tailby is supportive of the siting of the Defibrillator in the church porch but approval has to be given by the Diocese for fitting a permanent fixture on church property. It was agreed to purchase the top-of-the-range Defibrillator because it can be used on both adults and children. After purchasing the Defibrillator and paying for training, the remaining funds will be ring-fenced for future costs and put into the Thornhaugh Parish Council Dormant Account at Barclays Bank.

7. PLANNING APPLICATIONS

i) Planning Application 19/00398 Erection of dwelling with garage at 16 Meadow Lane, Thornhaugh – Granted.
ii) Planning Application 19/00934 Window replacement at the West elevation at 23 Russell Hill, Thornhaugh – Granted.
iii) Planning Application 19/01010 Undertake selective branch removals to reduce both the weight and sail of the crown in close proximity to the house, and raise the crown to approximately 2.5m above ground level as necessary at 4 Meadow Lane, Thornhaugh – Granted
iv) Planning Application 19/01090 Variation of condition C8 (Ecological management plan) of Planning Permission 13/01374/WCMM at Cooks Hole, Leicester Road, Thornhaugh – Awaiting Decision
v) Planning Application 19/01270 Remove Fir (Lawson Cypress) tree and replace with Laburnocytisus Adamii (Adam’s Laburnum Tree) and Japanese Maple Tree in the same position at 8 Russell Hill, Thornhaugh – Granted
vi) Planning Application 19/01300 Demolition and redevelopment of land for an Electric Vehicle Charging Station providing 20 electric car charging points at Abbotts Wood Service Station, Great North Road, Thornhaugh – No Objections but comment that suitable safety features on the slip road into the entrance and on the slip road out of the exit are necessary.

8. CORRESPONDENCE

Now that 16 Meadow Lane and the plot with planning permission had come on the market separately, the Chairman had contacted the Planning Department for confirmation that, should 16 Meadow Lane be sold before the refurbishment is completed, the new owner will be bound by the planning permission and will have to put in a driveway to ensure off-road parking. The sale details do refer to refurbishment including a driveway prior to sale and the Planning Department has confirmed that a driveway for 16 Meadow Lane is a planning requirement.

9. FINANCE

i) Statement and Bank Reconciliation at 31st August 2019 was reviewed and approved as presented. Adrian Rodgers had added a forecast page to the accounts spreadsheet and he will update this for every meeting. As a matter of good governance, he will look at drawing up the Financial Procedures for the Parish Councillors and the Clerk to follow to ensure transparency.
Proposed by:- Louise Molesworth
Seconded by:- Chris Smith

ii) Thornhaugh & Wansford Parish Councils’ Burial Ground Committee

Louise Molesworth will attend the next BGC meeting on 9th October 2019 and will report back any change in the Annual Contribution at the next Parish Council meeting.

iii) Bank Signatories
The Clerk will obtain the forms to add all the Parish Councillors as signatories to the bank account.

iv) Budget and Precept 2020-2021
This will be discussed at the next meeting in advance of setting the Precept in January 2020. It was agreed that a forward programme of events would be agreed as part of the budgeting process and also discussion on any future projects that may either need budgeting or be considered as potential for a grant.

10. ANY OTHER BUSINESS

i) Christmas Tree Event 2019

It was agreed that this will take place at 6.00 pm on 8th December 2019. Nicki Rogers has confirmed that she will supply the tree and print out flyers advertising the event from the Bill Rogers’ Memorial Fund. Louise Molesworth agreed to purchase mulled wine and mince pies. Residents are encouraged to add baubles to the tree.

ii) Meeting Dates for 2020

It was agreed that the meetings will be held on the third Monday of alternative months:- 20th January, 16th March, 18th May, 20th July, 21st September and 16th November 2020.

iii) Thornhaugh Heritage Project
Martin Lewis has been liaising with residents of Kings Cliffe regarding its Heritage Project as he is keen to support a similar project in Thornhaugh. If anyone is interested in being part of such a project, please speak to Martin or e-mail him on mtlewis00@btinternet.com. A descendant of Mr & Mrs Jeffries (who lived at The Rectory) would like to plant a tree in her family’s memory and it was agreed to think about possible suitable sites. She has also offered a number of old photos as part of Thornhaugh history which any heritage project group may find relevant.
iv) Augean Community Fund

It was agreed to invite Liam Higgins or Peter Sharpley (whoever is available) to the next meeting to give an update on what would be considered a suitable project and what would need to be considered in any application process.

v) Autumn/Winter Hanging Baskets

The autumn/winter hanging baskets will be ready in the next couple of weeks. The Chairman offered to collect them in the absence of Martin Lewis. It was agreed that the spring/summer wicker hanging baskets will be thrown away as they cannot be used again. Afternote: the summer baskets have now been replaced with the autumn ones. Thanks to all who maintain these throughout the year. They really add to the appearance of the village.

vi) RAF Formal Reception
The Chairman had attended this event which took place on 4th September 2019. The event was well attended by a number of local dignitaries and business people although, unfortunately, due to heavy winds the planning flypast could not take place. Thanks to the Station Commander for her invitation.

vii) Additional Light at the Shell Garage on the A1 North
The Chairman confirmed that she has been in contact with The Motor Fuel Group who have apologised and agreed to get the additional light (that is causing light pollution) adjusted. The light has been installed because they have had a number of fuel thefts recently. It may be necessary to remove it and replace it with one facing away from the village which would be subject to financial approval. Additionally, a question has been asked about the state of the conifers planted earlier this year as a light barrier. We are still awaiting a response.

11. DATE OF NEXT MEETING

The Next Meeting of Thornhaugh Parish Council will take place at 7.00 pm on 18th November 2019 in St Andrew’s Church

12. CLOSURE

There being no further business to discuss, the Chairman closed the meeting at 8.45 pm

SIGNED _________________________________ DATE 18/11/19
Chairman