You can also download these minutes as a PDF File

THORNHAUGH PARISH COUNCIL

Minutes of the Sixth Meeting of the 2018/2019 Parish Council held on 18th March 2019 in St Andrew’s Church, Thornhaugh

PRESENT
Chris Smith (Chairman)
Ashleigh Kewney
Martin Lewis
Louise Molesworth
Adrian Rodger

IN ATTENDANCE
Penny Lewin-Watts, Christie Hall Committee Representative
Alan Frost and Robert Reeve, Members of the Public
Diane Lamb, Ward Councillor
Deirdre McCumiskey, Clerk to the Council

1. APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE
There were apologies no apologies for absence.

2. DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST
Adrian Rogers declared an Interest in 9. i) Planning Application 19/00137 – Maintenance pruning required to 10 trees (apple, cherry, damson, plum) at St Medard House, Russell Hill, Thornhaugh.

3. PUBLIC PARTICIPATION
The Member of the Public expressed his (and other residents’ concerns) about the bird scarers which are sited too close to the churchyard wall and are going off outside daylight hours. The Chairman will write to Peter Sharpley.

4. POLICE MATTERS
There were no police representatives present and no reported crimes in Thornhaugh.

5. MINUTES of the Fifth Meeting of the 2018/2019 Parish Council held on 28th January 2019 were reviewed, approved and signed by the Chairman with the amendment that under 7. x) It should have stated that the Planning Application 18/01358 which has now been approved was the Revised Planning Application not the original application dated 26/07/18.
Proposed by:- Chris Smith
Seconded by:- Louise Molesworth

6. MATTERS ARISING

i) Telephone Box (Library)
See under 7. iv).
ii) Provision of a Defibrillator in the Village
See under 7. iv).
iii) Hanging Baskets Update
Martin Lewis has ordered the summer baskets from a new supplier in Wisbech which will be 16” baskets instead of the 20” baskets but will cost half the price paid for the 20” baskets last year. In addition, the baskets will need to be collected and installed which Chris Smith, Martin and Kay Lewis have volunteered to do.
iv) A1 North Layby Update
The Chairman had received a reply from Tom Lawman, Highways England who stated “With regards to a temporary layby closure, we are still in the situation of not being able to define how long it would be until any potential permanent closure or layout modifications could be delivered. Any changes would be dependent on the outcome of a study, which has not yet been programmed. Then delivery of any proposed changes would then be dependent on securing the necessary funds for construction and when work could fit into the overall delivery programme. Therefore, we are just not able to quantify how long a temporary closure would be in place and we can’t install a coned closure in that scenario”. Diane Lamb requested copies of the e-mails sent between Tom Lawman and the Parish Council and she will ascertain if she can help progress the issue further.
v) Shell Garage Update
The Chairman had met with Nick Perduno of the Motor Fuel Group Ltd. Confirmation has now been received that leylandii or another fast-growing conifer will be planted along 70 meters of the boundary of the Shell Garage and part of Starbucks in the next fourteen days. This will, provide the village with a living screen against light pollution.
vi) Thornhaugh Conservation Area Appraisal
The Parish Council’s comments have been submitted to Peterborough City Council and will be discussed at a Planning Meeting which is due to take place before May 2019.
vii) Policy on Council Composition
The Chairman had e-mailed the three co-opted volunteers with a summary of the discussion and the agreed way forward. Penny Lewin-Watts had agreed to continue as the Christie Hall Committee Representative. Liam Higgins and Lucy Sharpley have decided not to continue as co-opted volunteers and they are thanked for their invaluable contribution. As Liam Higgins is the current TEA Representative, the Clerk will check how the Parish can remain kept up-to-date with TEA matters which may mean a Parish Council Representative at TEA meetings.

7. FINANCE

i) Statement and Bank Reconciliation at 28th February 2019 was reviewed and approved as presented.
Proposed by:- Chris Smith
Seconded by:- Louise Molesworth

The Clerk will obtain quotes for the renewal of the Insurance Policy when it is due in September 2019.

It was agreed not to renew the subscriptions to CAPALC and Cambs ACRE when they are due in 2019-2020 as the Parish Council has not needed to use the services of these organisations for several years.

ii) Annual Donations to Wansford PCC and Living Villages
It was agreed to donate £190 to Wansford PCC (for the use of the church for Parish Council Meetings) and £80 to Living Villages (towards the cost of producing the newsletter).

iii) Timing of Annual Audit and Submission of Expenses
The Clerk confirmed that she would be giving the financial paperwork to Karen Jones, who will be undertaking the Internal Audit, w/c 1st April 2019. Any outstanding expenses need to be submitted by 31st March 2019. PKF Littlejohn will be undertaking the External Audit.

iv) Consideration of a Grant Application from the Augean Environmental Fund
It was agreed to make a Grant Application from the Augean Environmental Fund for the purchase of a Defibrillator, the installation costs for a Defibrillator, the maintenance contract for a Defibrillator, a first-aid course, the refurbishment of the Telephone Box (where the Defibrillator will be housed) and the updating of the Website to include information on the Defibrillator. Louise Molesworth will obtain a quotation for a Defibrillator and related costs including installation and maintenance.

v) New Format of Monthly Accounts wef April 2019
Thanks were expressed to Adrian Rodgers and the Chairman for their hard work in designing the new format of Monthly Accounts which will be used from 1st April 2019.

8. CORRESPONDENCE

There was no further correspondence that had not already been circulated by e-mail.

9. ANY OTHER BUSINESS

i) Planning Application 19/00137 – Maintenance pruning required to 10 trees (apple, cherry, damson, plum) at St Medard House, Russell Hill, Thornhaugh
There were No Objections to this Planning Application.
ii) Planning Application 19/00346 – 1 x Ash Tree – Fell, 21 x Conifer and 11 x Poplar Trees – Fell at 16 Russell Hill, Thornhaugh
There were various concerns expressed about this Planning Application. It was agreed that the Chairman will write a letter to Diane Lamb who will discuss the Parish Council’s concerns with the Planning Department. In addition, the Clerk will put the Parish Council’s concerns on the Planning Website in the normal way.
iii) Updating the Website
See under 7. iv). It was agreed, at present, to put any re-vamp of the website on hold.
iv) Village Activities 2019
It was agreed to defer any decision on if/when to hold any Village Activities in 2019 until the next meeting.

10. DATE OF NEXT MEETING

The Annual Parish Meeting followed by the Annual General Meeting of Thornhaugh Parish Council will take place at 7.00 pm on 20th May 2019 in St Andrew’s Church. Chris Smith gave her apologies in advance. She will prepare the Annual Chairman’s Report in advance and Louise Molesworth will chair both meetings. The Guest Speaker will be Lisa Chambers who will give a talk on the Christie Hall.

11. CLOSURE

There being no further business to discuss, the Chairman closed the meeting at 8.40 pm

SIGNED _________________________________ DATE 20/05/19
Chairman