You can also download these minutes as a PDF File


THORNHAUGH PARISH COUNCIL

Minutes of the Fourth Meeting of the 2018/2019 Parish Council held on 19th November 2018 in St Andrew’s Church, Thornhaugh

PRESENT
Chris Smith (Chairman)
Ashleigh Kewney
Martin Lewis
Louise Molesworth
Adrian Rodgers

Liam Higgins
Penny Lewin-Watts
Lucy Sharpley

IN ATTENDANCE
Peter Sharpley (Member of the Public)
Bryan Clary, (Tree Officer, Peterborough City Council – until 7.30 pm)
Diane Lamb (Ward Councillor)
Deirdre McCumiskey (Clerk to the Council)

Prior to the start of the formal agenda, the Chairman welcomed Bryan Clary, Tree Officer, Peterborough City Council. Bryan took the Parish Councillors through the role of the Tree Officer, its powers and influence. He confirmed that they operate both on an advisory and a regulatory role. Tree Officers are more than happy to help and advise resident on what they can and can’t do with existing trees – both in terms of felling and pruning. He explained the application of Tree Preservation Orders (TPOs) and also explained their role in the Planning Application process.

The Chairman thanked Bryan for taking the time to come and talk to the Parish Councillors and to help us better understand his role.

1. APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE
There were no apologies for absence.

2. DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST
Lucy Sharpley declared an interest in Planning Re-Consultation 18/01358/FUL – Conversion of farm barns to provide two holiday lets and erection of cart shed at Croft Farm, Meadow Lane, Thornhaugh.

3. PUBLIC PARTICIPATION

Peter Sharpley raised the following issues:-
• He had attended the Remembrance Day Service in Wansford and no poppy wreathe had been laid on behalf of Thornhaugh Residents. There did not seem to be any knowledge of who did this in the past, and it was assumed that this was done by the Royal British Legion (RBL) but the local RBL Branch has been disbanded. The Clerk will ask the Wansford Parish Council who organises/pays for its wreathe so we can manage this appropriately next year.
• He also mentioned that no response had been sent to Andrew Sharpley in relation to his query about parking in Meadow Lane adjacent to the entrance to his field. A response was sent via e-mail to Andrew and Peter will check that this was received and will also pass on the point that the Parish Council feel that parking issues are a matter for Peterborough City Council

4. POLICE MATTERS
There were no police representatives present.

5. MINUTES of the Third Meeting of the 2018/2019 Parish Council held on 17th September 2018 were reviewed, approved and signed by the Chairman with the amendment that Adrian Rodgers arrived late for the meeting.
Proposed by:- Chris Smith Seconded by:- Louise Molesworth

6. MATTERS ARISING

i) Repair of the stone wall at the top of Russell Hill
It was noted that work to repair the stone wall should be completed soon. The Chairman is awaiting an update from the stonemason.
ii) Telephone Box (Library)
Louise Molesworth’s decorator had indicated that the cost for repainting the Telephone Box should be about £500. She will ask him for a quotation as his company may be able to undertake the work in the spring.
iii) A47 Wansford to Sutton Dualling
Thanks were expressed to Martin Lewis for raising the issue of the new planned slip road severely affecting access for the residents of the four houses on the A1 southbound carriageway onto the A1. He had been in contact with Highways England (HE), Crosskeys (who own three of the four houses) and Lindsay Searle who owns the fourth house. Crosskeys has now put in an objection to the plans and HE has arranged a meeting has been arranged with Crosskeys and Lindsay Searle on 26/11/18. The Parish Council have offered to attend in support it either Crosskeys or Lindsay think that would be useful.
iv) Speeding Motorists in the Village
Nicki Rogers has designed a flyer discouraging speeding in the village which will be distributed along with the Christmas Tree Lights flyer. Diane Lamb will try to obtain some 20-mph stickers for the rubbish bins. She will also pursue the possibility of Peterborough City Council installing a flashing speed sign in the village.
v) Provision of a Defibrillator in the Village
Louise Molesworth had established that the British Heart Foundation may give a grant to partially support the cost of purchasing a Public Access Defibrillator but not a Locked Defibrillator, with the balance of the costs and the ongoing maintenance paid by the Parish Council. The alternative is to buy a Locked Defibrillator outright. In the case of a Locked Defibrillator the purchase price is likely to be too high to be fully funded by Parish funds and would therefore require fund raising by village residents. She will liaise with Wansford Parish Council as to the costs of purchasing and maintaining a Locked Defibrillator so that an informed discussion can take place in relation to actual costs. If any resident has any objections or comments relating to the provision of a Defibrillator in the village, please can they inform the Clerk.
vi) Hanging Baskets
Thanks were expressed to Louise Molesworth for organising the winter hanging baskets. The owners of Hillfield Nurseries, who have supplied the hanging baskets for several years, are retiring at the end of the year and so a new supplier will have to be found. Martin Lewis will find out the costs of using a Wisbech wholesaler.
vii) GDPR Statement
It was agreed to upload the GDPR Statement (previously circulated by the Chairman) onto the Thornhaugh Parish Council Website.
viii) A1 Access and Exit Signage and Layby
Disappointingly, after a positive meeting attended by the Chairman, Liam Higgins and the Highways Agency (HA) held on 18/09/18, the layby has now been re-opened which is contrary to what was agreed. The HA confirmed that they were unable to make this happen during the existing roadworks and that a separate application for temporary closure has had to be made. This is an on-going issue which will be followed up with the HA.
ix) Christmas Tree Lights Switch-on
Nicki Rogers is kindly funding the cost of the Christmas Tree from the Bill Rogers Fund. Louise Molesworth will purchase the mulled wine and mince pies which is funded by the Parish Council. The Christmas Tree lights will be switched on at 6.00 pm on 09/12/18 followed by carol singing around the tree with a collection on the night for donations to the Children’s Society.
x) Footpath Committee
Lindsey Freeman was looking into this on behalf of the Parish Council and will report back when she can on the progress of forming the Footpath Committee.

7. CORRESPONDENCE

There was no further correspondence that had not already been circulated by e-mail.

8. FINANCE

i) Statement and Bank Reconciliation at 31st October 2018 was reviewed and approved as presented.
Proposed by:- Chris Smith Seconded by:- Louise Molesworth

9. ANY OTHER BUSINESS

i) Planning Re-Consultation 18/01358/FUL – Conversion of farm barns to provide two holiday lets and erection of cart shed at Croft Farm, Meadow Lane, Thornhaugh
It was agreed that there were No Objections to the Planning Re-Consultation and the Clerk will put this response onto the Planning Website. Individuals directly affected by the Planning Application will have had the chance to respond personally.
ii) Draft Procedure for Managing Business Between Meetings
The Chairman will circulate this when she has completed it ready for discussion at the next meeting.
iii) Draft Policy on Declaring Conflicts of Interest
The Chairman had circulated this prior to the meeting. It will be discussed at the next meeting.
iv) Elected and Co-Opted Parish Councillors
The Chairman expressed her concerns regarding the different roles of Elected Councillors and Co-opted Volunteer members in terms of their roles and responsibilities. The current format has been in place for just over a year now and it is perhaps time to review how this is working. It is quite clear that voting is restricted to Elected Councillors but some other matters such as debating finances, formally responding to Peterborough City Council business, etc, can be unclear. There is also the matter of accountability and how residents would deal with any conflicts they might have. They can formally request an Elected Councillor be removed, but would not have any powers over Non-elected Volunteer Members. The Chairman agreed to put some thoughts into a discussion document for the next meeting.
Light Pollution from the Shell Garage/Starbucks
It was noted that two floodlights have been situated next to the generator at the Shell Garage and these lights are extremely bright and are highly visible across the fields to the village. Adrian Rodgers will check the contents of previous e-mails regarding this issue. The Chairman will contact the owners of the Shell Garage. If no satisfactory response is received, contact will be made with the Environmental Health Department at Peterborough City Council. No further action will be taken with Starbucks.
v) Christmas Party
By kind invitation, the Christmas Party will be held at Mick and Anne Castellano’s home on 21/12/18.

10. DATE OF NEXT MEETING

The Next Meeting of Thornhaugh Parish Council will take place at 7.00 pm on 21st January 2019 in St Andrew’s Church. The subsequent Meetings will be held on:- 18th March, 20th May, 15th July, 16th September and 18th November 2019 (subject to Diane Lamb being available to attend on these dates).

11. CLOSURE

There being no further business to discuss, the Chairman closed the meeting at 8.40 pm

SIGNED _________________________________ DATE 21/01/19
Chairman