You can also download these minutes as a PDF File

THORNHAUGH PARISH COUNCIL

Minutes of the Meeting of Thornhaugh Parish Council held on 20th September 2021 in St Andrew’s Church, Thornhaugh

PRESENT
Chris Smith (Chairman)
Louise Molesworth (Vice Chairman)
Ashleigh Kewney
Martin Lewis

Hannah Joyce, Philippa Joyce & Ellis Molesworth (Members of the Public)
Ben Pridgeon (Bidwells) & Nic Shaw (Riverford Organics)
Deirdre McCumiskey, Clerk to the Council

Bidwells and Riverford Organics made a short presentation on the proposed planning application on land at Sacrewell Lodge Farm:

Bidwells is acting on behalf of Riverford Organics in respect of its premises at Sacrewell Lodge Farm. The company is experiencing unprecedented growth and is seeking to increase capacity at the site to process its produce. Bidwells has been tasked with the preparation and submission of a full planning application for an agricultural packhouse to accommodate this growth and the processing of produce at the site. The proposed development would be sited adjacent to the existing facility, which would be retained and subsumed into the operations.

At the current time, they are in pre-application discussion with Peterborough City Council and expect to meet a Planning Officer shortly. However, they wanted to make the Parish Council aware of this application and to engage them in the process. They introduced the scheme which they are anticipating submitting the application in early November 2021.

A useful question and answer session took place including discussions on potential increased vehicle movements, noise management, etc, and the Parish Councillors were grateful for the information that was communicated to them and feel they have a better understanding of what is proposed and any impact this might or might not have for residents.

The Council was also pleased to get a better understanding of the Riverford Organics business ethos and its commitment to organic growth, local production and their approach to apprenticeships and training and their commitment to a fair-wage policy.

1. APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE
There were apologies for absence from Adrian Rodgers and Gavin Elsey, Peterborough City Ward Councillor.

2. DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST
Adrian Rodger had already declared an interest in Planning Application 21/01225 which is his own property.

3. PUBLIC FORUM

Ellis Molesworth stated that he is keen that the history of the village is promoted and made available to anyone who is interested in it. Martin Lewis has already gathered historical information and photographs as part of the Thornhaugh Heritage Project and plans to arrange a meeting for interested residents to further the project.

4. POLICE MATTERS

There were no police representatives present. No-one was aware of any recently reported crimes.

5. MINUTES of the meeting of the Thornahugh Parish Council held on 19th July 2021 were reviewed, approved and signed by the Chairman with the amendment that Ashleigh Kewney’s name had been spelt incorrectly under Any Other Business.
Proposed by:- Louise Molesworth
Seconded by:- Ashleigh Kewney

6. MATTERS ARISING

i) Defibrillator
The Chairman will write to the residents who donated money to purchase the defibrillator to inform them that the money has been ring-fenced and will be used to maintain the defibrillator over the next 10 years. The Parish Council will contribute towards the cost of the electricity in running the defibrillator. Louise Molesworth will organise a training day if enough residents express an interest in attending (this will be included in the next newsletter).

ii) Village Get-Together
It was noted that 45-50 residents had attended a successful and enjoyable Village Get-Together on 12th September 2021. Thanks are expressed to Alan and Joan Frost for hosting the event. It was noted that it had cost £357 which was an overspend of the £300 budget, but this had been pre-approved by the Parish Councillors.

iii) Footpaths
The Chairman will write to Lindsey Freeman of Home Farm to ascertain if she is still interested in forming a Footpath Committee whereby residents agree to monitor a local footpath that they use. The Clerk will write to Lee Moore, Footpaths Officer, Peterborough City Council to request a definitive map (not a website link address) which shows the footpaths in and around Thornhaugh and request a list of who owns them.

7. FINANCE

i) Statement and Bank Reconciliations at 31st August 2021 was reviewed and approved as presented.
Proposed by:- Louise Molesworth
Seconded by:- Ashleigh Kewney
The discussion relating to the need to establish a “minimum fund level” was deferred to the next meeting. There is a projected surplus at year end of £4,430 the balance over and above an agreed minimum would be available for projects.

ii) Insurance
The Clerk explained that the current insurance company is no longer able to provide insurance cover and the current policy expires on 30th September 2021. She is in the process of obtaining quotations from BHIB, Came & Co and Zurich Insurance and will circulate these as soon as she has received them. A decision on which quotation to accept will be made by e-mail.

8. CORRESPONDENCE

i) Peterborough City Council – Cambridgeshire and Peterborough Minerals and Waste Local Plan
ii) Daniel Worley, Senior Conservation Officer – Local List Project
iii) Highways England – A47 Wansford to Sutton Scheme – it is trusted that the Highways Agency has continued to liaise with the residents at the four properties on the A1 Southbound about local access, especially now that there will be increased traffic from Riverford in the future. The Chairman will write to Highways England asking that, as part of this project, that the layby and entrance to Thornhaugh on the Northbound carriageway be addressed while they have traffic diversions and heavy equipment already in the vicinity.

9. PLANNING APPLICATIONS

i) Planning Application 21/01012 – Front porch & garage extension converting existing garage into home office including dormer window at 5 Home Farm Cottages, Leicester Road, Thornhaugh – No Objections

ii) Planning Application 21/00873 Replacement of 3 metal windows on front elevation and 2 metal windows on rear elevation at Browetts Cottage, 6 Russell Hill, Thornhaugh – No Objections

iii) Planning Application 21/01225 – Construction of a first-floor loft conversion above an existing garage at St Medard House, Russell Hill, Thornhaugh – No Objections

10. ANY OTHER BUSINESS

i) Living Villages
It was noted that Living Villages will not be published after the November edition, due to the cost of printing and a lack of articles submitted for publication. The Chairman will write to Living Villages Editorial Team requesting that they explore possible alternatives as it is felt that this publication serves a valuable purpose in keeping the residents informed of local news.

ii) Hanging Baskets
The autumn/winter Hanging Baskets will be ordered and collected very soon.

iii) Christmas Event
The Chairman will ask Nicky Rogers if she is happy to purchase the Christmas Tree from the Bill Rogers’ Fund and then she will order it. It was agreed that the Christmas Lights Switch-On will take place on 12th December 2021. Louise Molesworth agreed to organise the purchase of mulled wine and mince pies. The Wansford Ukulele Group will be invited to perform some Christmas Carols.

iv) Queen’s Platinum Jubilee
Louise Molesworth agreed to head a committee to organise an event on 5th June 2022 to celebrate and will be seeking volunteers to help manage the event. There were a couple of proposals for this; possibly hold in a resident’s garden or preferably have a street party either in Meadow Lane or possibly seek a road closure off the A1 and hold a street party at the A1 end of the village, leaving access to the village from the A47. As this would involve formal road closures, agreement would be needed from residents.

11. DATE OF NEXT MEETING

The next Meeting of Thornhaugh Parish Council will take place at 7.00 pm on 15th November 2021 in St Andrew’s Church.

12. CLOSURE

There being no further business to discuss, the Chairman closed the meeting at 8.40 pm.

SIGNED _________________________________ DATE 15/11/21
Chairman