You can also download these minutes as a PDF File

THORNHAUGH PARISH COUNCIL

Minutes of the Inaugural Meeting of the 2013/2014 Parish Council held at 7.00 pm on Tuesday 9th July 2013 in St Andrew’s Church, Thornhaugh

PRESENT
William Rogers (Chairman)
Ian Molesworth
Brian Watts
Martin Witherington

IN ATTENDANCE
Two Members of the Public
Deirdre McCumiskey, Clerk to the Council

1. APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE
There were apologies for absence from Liam Higgins and Aimee Hunter, PCSO,

2. DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST
There were no Declarations of Interest in any items on the Agenda.

3. PUBLIC PARTICIPATION
The Members of the Public raised the following issues:

  • Excessive speed of a metallic blue quad bike – the Clerk will report to the Police and write to the owner of the quad bike
  • Dog Foul – the Clerk will put a notice in Living Villages and request an additional Dog Foul sign from PCC
  • Speeding in the village – the Chairman will check whether “Slow” can be repainted on the road, Brian Watts will look at Speed Watch data and the Clerk will ask if it would be possible to have a 30 mph speed limit throughout the village and additional Slow signs

4. MINUTES of the Annual General Meeting of the 2013/2014 Parish Council held on Tuesday 7th May 2013 were reviewed, approved and signed by the Chairman.

Proposed by:- William Rogers
Seconded by:- Brian Watts
CARRIED UNANIMOUSLY

5. MATTERS ARISING

i) Home Farm Matters
Martin Witherington reported on his attendance at the Planning and Environmental Committee to discuss the Consultation on Without Compliance 13/00432 & 13/00434 Variation of Planning Permission 12/01544 & 12/01545 to amend operating hours at Cook Hole, Thornhaugh. Permission had been granted but there will be an investigation into noise levels if there are reported concerns.

ii) Village Sign
Cllr Holdich and Cllr Lamb had secured £500 towards the purchase of a Village Sign through the PCC Community Leadership Fund. Brian Watts had been given permission by the Duke of Bedford of Woburn Abbey to use the Bedford Coat-of-Arms. Glynn Mould will be given the go-ahead to start producing the village sign once the TEA have made a decision about making a grant towards the purchase of a Village Sign. Glynn Mould had indicated that he could have the Village Sign ready by the end of September.

iii) Time Capsule and 60th Anniversary of Queen’s Coronation Celebrations
It was agreed to finalise details once there is a date for completion of the Village Sign.

iv) Thornhaugh Parish Council Records
Brian Watts reported that he has received more records from Hubert Warren but still needs to check if there are any further records in the crypt.

v) Purchase/Relocation of Benches
The Clerk had approached the relevant local landowners who had given their permission for the Parish Council to erect a couple of benches along the footpaths in the woods. The Chairman will investigate the purchase of ‘sleepers’ to construct three benches in the woods.

Liam Higgins had suggested rather than purchase new benches, it could be more beneficial to move the bench outside Montagu House onto “The Green” behind the rock facing down Meadow Lane. He felt it could be part of the ‘green redevelopment’ when the village sign is finally installed. The benefits would be that it faces due south and there are better views; it would be outside library van stop and allow library van user(s) to sit down whilst waiting; he had never noticed anyone sitting on it in its existing position, where it is shaded and tends to grow algae. However, it was agreed to leave the existing bench where it is.

6. CORRESPONDENCE

Mr W Adderley – Permission for benches to be placed beside footpath (Noted)
PCC – Consultation on Planning Application 13/00733 – Refurbishment, repair and alterations to Mil complex including Mill pond repairs, installation of a cross flow turbine, addition of a new escape stairway to the east side of Mill House and enhancement of interpretation facility at Mill House, Great North Road, Thornhaugh, Peterborough (Noted, no objections)
PCC – Consultation on Listed Building Application 13/00734 -Refurbishment, repair and alterations to Mill complex including Mill pond repairs, installation of a cross flow turbine, addition of a new escape stairway to the east side of Mill House and enhancement of interpretation facility at Mill House, Great North Road, Thornhaugh, Peterborough (Noted, no objections)
PCC – Consultation on Planning Application 13/0629 – Temporary permission for 8 mobile buildings at Leedsgate Farm, Kings Cliffe Road, Wansford (Noted, no objections)
PCC – Parish Liaison Committee (Noted)
Cambridgeshire Constabulary – Peterborough North West Rural Police Neighbourhood Meeting 11/07/13 (Martin Witherington will attend)

7. FINANCE

i) Statement and Bank Reconciliation at 30th June 2013 was reviewed and approved as presented

Proposed by:- William Rogers
Seconded by:- Brian Watts
CARRIED UNANIMOUSLY

8. NOTIFIED ITEMS FOR DISCUSSION

i) Website (TEA)
Liam Higgins had suggested a TEA link/page on the Parish Council Website (plus agree principle if other similar organisations wish to do something similar) eg simply provide a link/page where a summary of information can be added with contact numbers, e-mail addresses and links to other sites or documentation/forms etc). TEA currently has a domain but this is an unnecessary cost and the site is out-of-date. The TEA administrators are happy to provide the main site and hold the forms but they would like to have a link and basic overview held separately and ideally on the Parish Council Website. If any information changes, they can simply amend the link, giving them better redundancy. As Liam Higgins was not present, it was agreed to discuss this at the next meeting.

ii) Relocation of the Pedestrian Sign
Brian Watts wanted to discuss the proposal to relocate the Pedestrian sign when approaching Thornhaugh from the west. He felt that it should be relocated to outside the entrance to Thornhaugh Hall. As there are many ramblers who walk through the village whilst undertaking a circuit of the woods, it is important to ensure motorists are warned of pedestrians at an earlier location rather than at present. If PCC are unable to do this, the Parish Council will seek funding to purchase an additional Pedestrian sign.

iii) Dangerous Driving in the Village
Brian Watts wanted to discuss tackling fast, inconsiderate and potentially dangerous driving between Thornhaugh Hall gates and the village. This had already been discussed in Public Participation.

iv) Footpath Bridges
Liam Higgins had suggested sending a note of thanks to Mr A Sharpley for digging the ditch by the main wood where the existing culvert had partially collapsed creating a potential hazard in the gateway for anyone who could have dropped into it, especially younger children. A temporary footpath bridge has been erected over the newly dug ditch. Mr P Garnham of Peterborough City Council is dealing with this. The problem is that the crossing was originally a culvert and PCC believes that any replacement is the landowner’s responsibility. It was agreed that there will be no further action regarding the footpath bridges.

v) Bus Services to/from Thornhaugh
Martin Witherington stated that it had been reported in the Evening Telegraph that the bus service to Thornhaugh is to be terminated. It was agreed to contact Peterborough City Council to ascertain why the Parish Council had not been consulted about this.

NB The decision to cut subsidised bus services in Peterborough will be reviewed by the council’s cabinet after Councillors said not enough consultation had taken place. PCC’s decision to cut £500,000 from the budget, which meant a removal for Local Link services, was met with anger from many elderly residents, and a large number turned up at the meeting of the Sustainable Growth and Environment Capital Committee Meeting on 12th July 2013 at the Town Hall. Councillors at the meeting unanimously agreed to call in the decision, meaning the council’s cabinet will review the cuts on a later date, after agreeing the consultation process had not reached enough people.

9. ADJOURNMENT

Martin Withering asked the Clerk to request an update on the Parking Permits issued to Parish Councillors to enable them to park free of charge when attending meetings in Peterborough/Cambridge as it is believed the Parking Permits issued some time ago are now out-of-date in terms of Vehicle Registration Numbers, etc. He also asked the Clerk to check the regulations about Parish Councillors claiming for petrol and parking fees when attending meetings on behalf of the Parish Council.

NB The Clerk checked the regulations which stated that “Travel and subsistence allowances (including travel by bicycle and other non-motorised forms of transport may be paid to Councillors when they carry out certain ‘Approved Duties’ (which means the doing of anything approved by the Parish Council for the purpose of, or in connection with, the discharge of the functions of the Parish Council)”.

Martin Witherington stated he had resigned as a representative on the Thornhaugh Environmental Association and had been replaced by Mr R Clarke of Wansford.

Brian Watts and Ian Molesworth stated that they had some concerns about (private) overgrown trees in the village (within the conservation area). The Clerk will request that a PCC Tree Officer visits the village to look at the trees before any contact is made with the residents concerned.

10. DATE OF NEXT MEETING

The Second Meeting of the 2013/2014 Council will take place at 7.00 pm on Wednesday 11th September 2013 in St Andrew’s Church.

11. CLOSURE

There being no further business to discuss, the Chairman closed the meeting at 8.45 pm

SIGNED _________________________________ DATE 11/09/13
Chairman